1/3 Photos of Roast Pork (Pernil) Puerto Rican Style
4 hrs 15 mins
Elizabeth Silva's Note:
tasty roast pork, Puerto Rican style, Marine overnight. This is every Puerto Rican party dish. If there is no pernil in the party there is no party, especially the hard skin!! That is to die for. When I was a little girl and woke up to the smell of the pernil, I knew something special was happening that day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1The night before peel garlic and with a Pilón mash it to a past then combine all the ingredients and whisk then set it aside.
- 2Rinse pork in warm water and stab 1 inch slits in the pork (the more stabs the more taste). Place it in the roasting pan skin side down rub the seasoning to the pork and also insert some in the slits. Cover and refrigerate.
- 3This takes about 4 to 5 hours to cook depending in size and your oven so you must time yourself on the time you want it done. We normally start this the next morning (8 am the latest) to get it out the way and cook other dishes.
- 4For the first 2 hours set oven at 275°F and cook covered. After 2 hours turn pork over and set oven at 350°F continue cooking for 2+ more hours uncovered,.
- 5TIP: Check every ½ to 1 hour and poke with roasting fork. You will feel the difference as the pernil cooks.
- 6Before serving make sure your juices are clear and the skin is nice and hard.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Pork (Pernil) Puerto Rican Style
Serving Size: 1 (383 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 960.7
- Calories from Fat 686
- Total Fat 76.2 g
- Saturated Fat 24.0 g
- Cholesterol 257.6 mg
- Sodium 237.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 62.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: