Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very simple risotto-style side dish that I make in an on-off rice cooker. I use Knorr chicken broth powder if I don't have chicken stock handy. If your broth is unsalted, you will need to add salt to taste.
- Put oil and butter in rice cooker pot, switch on.
- When butter is melted, add carrots and onions. Cook until softened, 3-5 minutes.
- Add rice, stir until it is coated with oil.
- Add chicken stock and switch to cook.
- Check consistency when rice cooker switches to warm. If it is too chewy, add 1/4 cup water and switch on again. This is very altitude dependent.
We used CalRose and added some fresh chopped parsley. It did need a little more broth, but was yummy, easy and great with chicken. Next time I will add a teaspoon of curry powder for a different flavor - Thanks Lille!