Recipe by Lille
This is a very simple risotto-style side dish that I make in an on-off rice cooker. I use Knorr chicken broth powder if I don't have chicken stock handy. If your broth is unsalted, you will need to add salt to taste.
Top Review by Secret Agent
We used CalRose and added some fresh chopped parsley. It did need a little more broth, but was yummy, easy and great with chicken. Next time I will add a teaspoon of curry powder for a different flavor - Thanks Lille!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice (risotto-style (Arborio, Italian rice or even Calrose)
- 3 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put oil and butter in rice cooker pot, switch on.
- When butter is melted, add carrots and onions. Cook until softened, 3-5 minutes.
- Add rice, stir until it is coated with oil.
- Add chicken stock and switch to cook.
- Check consistency when rice cooker switches to warm. If it is too chewy, add 1/4 cup water and switch on again. This is very altitude dependent.