1 hr 10 mins
Tessa Morales's Note:
I found this in a slow food cookbook I borrowed - it originates from one of my favorite chefs - Madhur Jaffrey. I needed some more recipes using red lentils, and this came at a convenient time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 7 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 6 whole cloves, tied in a bouquet garni (cheesecloth)
- 2 slices peeled fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 3 -4 teaspoons salt, more to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, more,to taste
- 1/2 cup small cubes of unsweetened bread (for croutons)
- olive oil, for sauteing bread croutons
- lime wedge
- 1Put the lentils, water, turmeric, cloves, ginger and garlic into a large pot and simmer, partially covered, until lentils become soft, 45 minutes to an hour, or use a pressure cooker to reduce the cooking time.
- 2Remove the cloves (in the bouquet garni) and puree the soup with a hand blender, or in a blender.
- 3Season with salt, pepper and lime juice, to taste.
- 4Saute the bread cubes in a bit of olive oil until slightly browned and crisped and drain.
- 5Serve the soup with the bread croutons and lime wedges, on the side.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Lentil Soup with Cloves
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.5
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1191.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: