Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I was looking for "real" cajun recipes and found this site amazingly called realcajunrecipes.com. Imagine that! "Traditionally Cajuns prepared the red beans and sausage then served the beans and sausage over rice which is the way this dish is prepared."
- 1 lb red kidney beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb smoked sausage (cut in 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 bay leaf
- red pepper flakes
- salt and black pepper
- water (to cover beans)
- Wash beans.
- In a large Dutch oven, cover beans in cold water and soak overnight. (or use fast method - put beans in water, bring to boil, cover and let stand for a couple hours).
- When the beans are ready to cook, add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaf and (optional) ham-bone with some meat on it.
- Add enough additional water to cover the beans by at least 3 inches.
- Cook slowly stirring occasionally until beans are tender, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking mash some of the beans to thicken the gravy.
- Add the smoked sausage and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- (The heat may be increased to evaporate excess water if the beans are too watery.).
- Stir to prevent sticking.
- Serve over steamed rice.
We really enjoyed these easy and tasty red beans and sausage. I used the "quick soak" method for soaking the beans by bringing the beans & water to a boil for 2 minutes, removing the pot from the heat and allowing the beans to soak, covered, for 1 hour. I used Cajun andouille smoked sausage and 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes. I would have liked them spicier but I didn't dare add more red pepper flakes or my husband wouldn't have eaten it. I didn't have a meaty ham bone, so I added a couple tablespoons of ham base instead. I served this over brown steamed rice and with cornbread on the side. As soon as my husband tasted this, he commented that it reminded him of something he had one time at the "House of Blues" restaurant in New Orleans. Thank you for sharing this keeper recipe. **Made for 2014 Football Pool**