Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A French classic. If you enjoy coq au vin this is the version for the ladies, and the men of course. Super dish, a must for lovers of chicken.
- 1 (3 lb) roasting chickens, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 ounces butter
- 12 small shallots
- 4 ounces bacon, sliced
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 4 ounces button mushrooms
- 16 small new potatoes
- 1⁄4 pint dry white wine
- 1⁄4 pint chicken stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 slices bread, fried and cut into croutons
- Melt the butter in a deep pan and fry the chicken pieces until brown all over 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and drain.
- Add the onions and bacon to the pan and fry till the onion is just soft.
- Add the flour and cook out for 2 minutes Add the mushrooms, wine, stock, and bouquet garni, bring to the boil to make the sauce, season with salt and pepper.
- Replace the chicken and simmer covered for 20 mins, add the potatoes and cook till chicken and potatoes are done, 20 minutes.
- Discard the bouquet garni and serve with the croutons of bread and boiled green beans. Wonderful.