Recipe by LDSMom128
This is a traditional Norwegian recipe that would be made for Christmas and other holidays. my Great-Grandmother, Mina Taylor learned from her parents who brought it with them when they emigrated from Norway in the late 18 90's. They would spend hours making this dish with a lot of steps and some difficulty. My Grandma taught me this as an easier way and can be done in about an hour or so. If you don't have a stand mixer, you can stir the potatoes by hand, but it will take more work from you and will take a little bit longer to make. Enjoy!
Top Review by lady-este_12051517
Wonderful recipe. My Norwegian mother put a piece of salt pork in the middle of each club when she formed them into a ball. She also put pork in the pot she cooked the klub, made them have a wonderful flavor. Some like them served with a little pork grease poured over them and othesr with butter.
- 6 large russet potatoes
- 4 cups flour (Could use Gluten-Free flour)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the potatoes. Using a cheese grater, grate the potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a KitchenAide or other stand mixer, Add the flour one cup at a time until the potatoes are not sticky and are able to handle. You may need to add more or less flour, depending on how sticky the potatoes may become.
- Form the potatoes and roll up into a ball about the size of a tennis ball. This should make about 6 balls.
- In a large pot, boil the potatoes in salted water for about 20 minutes or until soft when poked with a fork.
- Remove them from the water and allow to cool for about 10 minutes or so. Slice the potatoes into good bite-size pieces.
- Heat a large skillet and add the 3 tbsp of olive oil or butter and add the sliced potatoes and fry until golden brown and salt and pepper for taste.
- Add the canned milk and cook in the potatoes until the milk has evaporated into the potatoes. These go really well with a roast or a ham and add a vegetable and you have a delicious meal!