Recipe by MommyMakes
For anyone who has ever been out of crescent dough during an emergency....
Top Review by secretbeans
I can't believe how many Pigs in Blanket "recipes" called for pre-made dough. Do people really need a "recipe" to figure that out? Anyway, this one was perfect- I was surprised at how good the dough was for being so simple. I didn't roll/cut my dough out or anything- my son and I just pulled a good "chunk" off for each little veggie dog, and it worked fine. Nice flaky layers!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 18 miniature hot dogs
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 400ºF. Grease a large baking sheet. Sift the dry ingredients (flour through salt) into a mixing bowl (or dump them in one at a time, whatever).
- Rub the butter pieces into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly. Stir in cheese until evenly distributed.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the buttermilk. Stir well with a wooden spoon. Let the dough sit for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the dough with flour and stir once or twice then turn out onto a well floured counter.
- With floured hands, pat the dough into a 15 by 7 inch rectangle, trimming the sides if necessary to get a true rectangle. (Handle the dough as little as possible for tenderness, yeah right).
- Using a pizza cutter, slice the rectangle into thirds horizontally then slice each third into thirds vertically, this will give you 9 small rectangles. Slice each rectangle diagonally into two thin triangles.
- One at a time, roll up the sausages in the triangles. Place pointy side down on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 13 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on the sheet for 3 minutes then tranfer to a wire rack.