Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe has been in my family for generations. This is my mom's version. The amount of olive oil depends on the size of jars you use. The pepper flakes we use for this recipe are call "Aji Molido", it is not spicy but very flavorful, so please be careful. The first time I make this with regular American Hot pepper flakes I almost kill my boyfriend at the time.(Aji Molido is from Argentina)
- 3 eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 2 onions, sliced in thin rings
- 2 red peppers, thin sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon dry basil
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 2 cups olive oil (may be more)
- Cover eggplant with salt and let it rest for 30 minutes, then rinse well. This will get ride of any bitterness.
- In a sauce pan, bring up to boil the vinegar and water. Add onions, peppers, garlic and eggplant. Simmer for 20 minutes and drain.
- Mix with aji molido, oregano, and basil.
- Put on jars with one laurel leaf on each jar and cover with olive oil.
- Store for at least a week before using.
- For long-term unrefrigerated storage, process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes immediately after sealing jars.
I made this last summer and it was excellent. It kept in the refrigerator for about a month or so,and I used it as needed for spicing things up. I would recommend this recipe to anyone who likes pickled foods. I even top a garden salad with pickled eggplant - wonderful! Thanks for posting