1/3 Photos of Pancakes British Style
This recipe comes from Delia Smith. It will make about 12 thin pancakes. The British pancake is very similar to a crepe and is traditionally served with lemon and sugar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
- 2Make a well in the centre of the flour and break the eggs into it, then whisk the eggs into the flour.
- 3Slowly add small quantities of the milk and water mixture, whisking all the while to get the lumps out of the flour.
- 4The batter should be like thin cream when you are done.
- 5Now melt the butter in your frying pan.
- 6Spoon 2 tbsp of it into the batter and whisk it in, then pour the rest into a bowl and use it to grease the pan, using a bit of paper towel to smear it round before you make each pancake.
- 7Heat up the pan over a high heat, then turn the heat down to medium.
- 8Spoon the batter into the pan, using just less than 1/4 cup for a 10" pan.
- 9You don't want them too big or they will be hard to flip.
- 10As soon as the batter hits the hot pan, tip it around from side to side to get the base evenly coated with batter.
- 11It will only take a few seconds to cook.
- 12When it is golden brown underneath, flip to the other side and cook for a few more seconds.
- 13Place on a plate and cover with a clean kitchen towel to keep warm while you make the rest.
- 14To serve, sprinkle each pancake with freshly squeezed lemon juice and caster sugar, fold in half, then in half again to form triangles, or else simply roll them up.
- 15Serve sprinkled with a little more sugar and lemon juice and extra sections of lemon.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pancakes British Style
Serving Size: 1 (605 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 93.7
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 42.1 mg
- Sodium 62.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.8 g