Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 mins
i used to work at outback and the only batter they use is a normal egg wash 10 eggs per 1 gal of milk. you dust w/ flour then dip in egg wash and then flour again and fry.
- 20 eggs
- 2 gallons milk
- 4 vidalia onions (4 to 6 Inch Diameter) or 4 texas sweet onions (4 to 6 Inch Diameter)
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
Creamy Chili Sauce
- 1 pint mayonnaise
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup tomato chili sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cayenne
- Mix cornstarch, flour and seasonings until well blended.
- Add beer, mix well.
- Cut about 3/4" off top of onion and peel.
- At "Outback" they soak them cutside down in water to spread them out before "breading" them!
- Cut into onion 12-16 vertical wedges but do not cut through bottom root end.
- Remove about 1" of petals from center of onion.
- Dip onion in seasoned flour and remove excess by shaking.
- Separate petals to coat thoroughly with batter.
- Gently place in fryer basket and deep-fry at 375-400 for 1-1/2 minutes.
- Turn over and fry 1-1/2 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Place onion upright in shallow bowl and remove center core with circular cutter or apple corer.
- Serve hot with Creamy Chili Sauce.
Have made these b/f but not using the same recipe, a tip to cutting your onion, turn onion over so that you see the root of the onion (AFTER cutting the top of the onion off so you have a flat surface) now cut onion into petals, making slices around the onion making sure you cut to the bottom. Another tip in making onion "bloom" let onion sit in ice cold water for about 10-15 minutes b/f coating onion. Onion petals will separate and will be easier to coat and fry better. Hope this helps!
Something is wrong with the proportions for the wash. 10 eggs and a gallon of milk is entirely too much for 4 onions or even 6 onions. That is wasteful. The onion part is good, but you need to trim and start soaking the onion 2-3 hours before you make the rest.
The sauce isn't right, either. It's not the right flavor.
I haven't tried the recipe yet but thank you for the how to cut an onion tips. I will try it today!