1/1 Photo of Moist Devil's Food Cake
A good devils food cake, moist and flavorful -- Adapted from Cook's Illustrated
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Adjust oven rack to upper- and lower-middle positions; heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease three 8-inch pans, line bottom of each pan with parchment paper round, grease agin and flour.
- 3Combine chocolate and cocoa in medium bowl; pour boiling water over and whisk until smooth.
- 4Sift together flours, baking soda, and salt onto large bowl and set aside.
- 5Place butter in bowl of standing mixer and beat at medium-high speed until creamy, about 1 minute.
- 6Add brown sugar and beat on high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- 7Stop mixer and scrape down bowl.
- 8Increase speed to medium-high and add eggs one at a time, beating 30 seconds after each addition.
- 9Reduce speed to medium; add sour cream and vanilla and beat until combined, about 10 seconds.
- 10Stop mixer and scrape down bowl.
- 11With mixer on low, add about one third of flour mixture, followed by about one half of chocolate mixture.
- 12Repeat, ending with flour mixture; beat until just combined, about 15 seconds.
- 13Do not overbeat.
- 14Remove bowl from mixer; scrape bottom and sides of bowl and mix gently to be certain all ingredients are combined.
- 15Divide batter evenly among cake pans, smooth batter to edges of pan with angled spatula.
- 16If baking three 8-inch cakes, place two pans on lower-middle rack and one on upper-middle rack.
- 17Bake until skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 23 minutes for 8-inch cakes.
- 18Cool on wire rack 15 to 20 minutes.
- 19Run knife around pan perimeter to loosen.
- 20Invert cakes onto large plate; peel off parchment, and reinvert onto lightly greased rack.
- 21Cool completely before frosting.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moist Devil's Food Cake
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.2
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 92.1 mg
- Sodium 192.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 27.2 g
- Protein 5.0 g