Recipe by gingerkitten D
Once upon a time I worked at McDonald's, and I used to make a TON of these things...this is how it works...we used reconstituted onions (ewww!) and canned sauce, but this is pretty darn close....
Top Review by chef kristin #2
We gave this a try and were SHOCKED at how accurate it was! Hubby is somewhat of a Big Mac fanatic, and he said it was dead on. We LOVED it and will be making it again and again. :) Thank you!
- 8 hamburger buns with sesame seeds
- 1 lb hamburger, in 8 thin patties, 1/10 lb each (approximately)
- 8 slices pickles
- finely chopped onion (at McD's these are reconstituted)
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices yellow American cheese
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the sauce: Mix the sauce ingredients together until you get kind of a light orange colored sauce.
- Add more or less mayo according to taste.
- Adjust the recipe for more sauce if desired.
- Take four of the buns and remove the tops.
- Save the tops for another recipe.
- Toast the buns and start to cook the meat.
- A FOREMAN GRILL is most like the grill used at McDonald's, but you can do it any other way you want.
- (You can cook the meat and put aside until your buns are ready, or work quickly and finish simultaneously) Spread out the bun bottoms (you will have 8) on a baking sheet.
- Put sauce on all of these (the closer 4 will be the middle layer).
- Sprinkle buns with minced onions (we used a good pinch).
- Follow the onions with the shredded lettuce.
- For the four closest buns, top each with 2 pickles and for the four farthest top each with a slice of cheese.
- IF you are a TRULY skilled Big Mac Maker your buns will be ready as soon as your meat is ready, but it takes practice.
- Put the 8 pieces of meat onto all of the 8 buns.
- Take the four pickle side buns and move on top of the cheese side buns.
- Top with the bun"lids" and enjoy your Big Mac's!