Recipe by dojemi
From Al Roker book "Big Bad Book of Barbecue" The only cooking required is for the crust.
Top Review by Tammiem
This is an excellent pie. I have made it several times and in different ways. You can make it with fat-free condensed milk but you to freeze it and I have made it with oreo cookie crumbs withgood results. tammiem
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lime zest
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 6 tablespoons tequila
- 4 teaspoons orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- lime slice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cracker crumbs and butter. Press into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake until crust begins to puff, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven; transfer to a cooling rack. If crust has pulled away from sides, use the back of a spoon to press it back. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, stir together condensed milk, zest, juice, tequila, liqueur, and salt.
- Let stand for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Pour filling into crust.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firmly set, for at least 2 or up to 8 hours.
- Just before serving, whip cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold in sugar and vanilla, whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Garnish pie with whipped cream and lime slices, if using.
- Serve immediately.