1/5 Photos of Magic White Sauce (and Variations)
Sick of lumpy sauce? Hate making that flour and butter roux? Here's the answer! This is the easiest version of White Sauce ever. You won’t believe it works until you try it! You will need a wire balloon whisk for this recipe and you must make sure that all ingredients are cold (or at least at room temperature) to begin with. Thanks to English food writer, Delia Smith, for discovering this all-in-one method. The following are my simplified adaptations for Basic White Sauce, along with variations for Mustard Sauce, Cheese Sauce (Mornay Sauce) and Parsley Sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour milk into a saucepan.
- 2Add all other ingredients.
- 3Place pan over a medium heat, and, using a wire balloon whisk, whisk sauce constantly until butter melts.
- 4Be sure to work the whisk into the edges of the pan to incorporate all the flour.
- 5Whisk frequently until the mixture comes to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.
- 7Taste and add extra seasoning if required.
- 8Variations: Mustard Sauce Make sauce as per recipe, but use 1 ½ cups milk and ½ cup chicken stock.
- 9Along with the salt, add 2 teaspoons mustard powder, ¼ teaspoon onion powder and substitute a good pinch of cayenne pepper for the black pepper.
- 10Stir in 1 teaspoon lemon juice when sauce is completed.
- 11Cheese Sauce Make sauce as per recipe, but use 1 cup milk and 1 cup cream.
- 12Along with the salt, add a good pinch of nutmeg and substitute a good pinch of cayenne pepper for black pepper.
- 13At the simmering stage stir in 75g- 100g grated tasty cheese (I like a mixture of mature cheddar and parmesan).
- 14Stir in 1 teaspoon lemon juice when sauce is completed.
- 15Parsley Sauce Make sauce as per recipe, but use 1 ¾ cups milk and ¼ cup cream.
- 16When sauce is finished, mix in 4 tablespoons finely chopped parsley and 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Magic White Sauce (and Variations)
Serving Size: 1 (653 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 626.9
- Calories from Fat 446
- Total Fat 49.5 g
- Saturated Fat 31.1 g
- Cholesterol 141.0 mg
- Sodium 1056.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 11.6 g