Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This can be paired with a cream "cheese" frosting for a decadent cake or crushed pineapple on top for a lighter treat.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree or 3 tablespoons pumpkin pie filling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, flax, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar and pumpkin until creamy.
- Add vanilla, then add applesauce and carrots.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together and add raisins if using.
- Pour batter in a greased* 9x13 pan or two 9 in cake rounds for a layer cake.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool adequately if frosting or adding topping**.
- *To grease the pan I use 1-2 tsp of non hydrogenated vegan margarine because it gives the cake a little richness without adding a lot of fat.
- ** For a nice low-fat topping I put crushed pineapple on top.
My Daughter was working, when I took this one into her, she only came home with half of it, the other workers loved it. Even if it was a vegan recipe