Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
From 5th Avenue Suites Red Star Tavern, Portland, Ore. But us Southerners love it, too! Actually quite easy to make and well worth it, as the compliments will be numerous.
- cooking oil or nonstick cooking spray
- 2 eggs
- 3 ounces butter, melted
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated white cheddar will work too
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 16 ounces creamed corn (or 12 ounces creamed corn and 8 oz fresh corn)
- 1 cup cornmeal, fine
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal, fine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- honey (optional)
- Heat oven to 350*(325* convection oven, fan on).
- Heat 12" cast iron skillet in oven until it is quite hot, 10-15 minutes. When hot, oil pan with vegetable oil or cooking spray. (for less thick bread, batter is enough for two 12" skillets).
- In large bowl, combine eggs, butter, milk, cheese, sour cream and corn; mix well.
- Mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add to the milk mixture and stir until well combined.
- Pour batter into hot pan.
- Bake until golden brown on top and batter is "set," about 25 minutes. The cornbread may seem wet or moist, but will be somewhat firm to the touch. Let it cool in the pan, the residual heat will finish cooking the bread. (Sometimes it's done enough to eat straight from oven, when bottom is crustiest!).
- To serve, reheat in pan and loosen bread while hot with butter knife around the edges and turn out onto warm plate.
- Drizzle with honey, if desired. It's so rich, though, you may not need it!