Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A very light, low calorie snack cake. I agree with the reviewers, not a browie at all, but that was the name on the recipe, so I stuck with it. Super easy, and a healthy way to get some carrots into a dessert!
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray a 9 inch square pan with sprayable oil.
- Mix cocoa, flour and baking powder in a bowl.
- Mix in shredded carrots and sugar.
- In another small bowl, mix egg whites, milk, apple sauce and vanilla.
- Lightly beat with fork and add to dry ingredients.
- Mix just until blended.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool and cut into squares.
This has a lovely light flavour and texture. Very enjoyable and quick and easy to make too! I liked the colour of the carrots through the brownie and the recipe cooked perfectly.
I had a pile of carrots so I decided to try this out. After reading the other reviews, I reduced the baking powder to 1 tsp, doubled the cocoa powder, and reduced the flower by 1/4 cup. This resulted in a much more brownie-like texture. The chocolate flavor was VERY strong though, so some might prefer a smaller proportion or a bit more sugar to get the more usual "brownie chocolate" taste. Like many chocolate cakes, the flavor improves after a day or so. I'll be making this again.
These were AMAZING. I can't believe they were basically fat-free (I used fat-free soy milk)! They certainly were not like what I expected from a brownie, in fact they wre more like a cake...a very moist, light cake. I agree, the colour of the carrots is interesting...and I should have listened to the other reviewers and added more cocoa. But these are definitely being made again to satisfy any chocolate cake cravings!