Recipe by Fluffy
A quick and easy vegetarian supper for those busy weeknights. Turn that can of beans into a tasty meal in no time. Adapted from "The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy Low-Fat Favorites".
Top Review by MOOMINMAMA
This was so delicious and so easy to make! I have never eaten kidney beans and this was a great introduction to them! I usually don't like ginger but in this case it blended very well and didn't overpower the dish. Thanks for a great recipe!!!
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed (or more, to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (or more, to taste)
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or 2 cups cooked beans)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, 1/3 cup water, ketchup, garlic and ginger in a saucepan.
- Add beans.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup water.
- Add to bean mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 1-2 minutes.
- Serve over rice.