Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A recipe from my girlfriend who makes these cat favorites on a steady basis for her pet cat, who just gobbles these up!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup soy flour
- 1 teaspoon catnip
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk powder
- 1 tablespoon unsulphured molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Oil a cookie sheet.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add in molasses, egg, butter (or oil if using) and milk; mix to combine.
- Roll out flat on oiled cookie sheet; cut into small cat bite-sized pieces.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Let cool; store in tightly sealed containers.
I tried these over the weekend for my spoilt kitties- they liked it pretty well; I think they thought it was people food! I'll feed them some more soon and see if they continue to like it. One tip, I was able to find soy flour and wheat germ in bulk at my local farmer's market at a really good price. It *was* somewhat tedious cutting the cookies before baking, but well worth it in the end.
Well, so far 2 of my 3 cats refuse to humor me by eating this, but the catnip IS starting to get to *me*, so maybe I'll just have at it. ;o) Anyway, it was way too sticky to cut before cooking, so I just spread it out on a silpat mat, baked, let cool and then diced it up. Worked well that way. I might try some variations to see if I can get my brood to go for this since I just bought all of the ingredients, most of which I don't normally use, in ridiculous quantities. Dang cats! ;) Thanks, Jan!