Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is so easy and it makes a wonderful blueberry pie, this filling freezes wonderful and will makes enough for one 9-inch pie, the filling also makes a great topping for cakes and cheesecakes --- you may make the filling up to step 4 and then freeze in a plastic container, if you are doubling the recipe prepare two separate recipes and make in two saucepans, I do not recommend to double into one.
- In a heavy saucepan mix the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; bring to a boil stirring frequently.
- Mix the cornstarch with cold water (adding in just enough water to create a thick paste).
- Pour over the berries whisking vigorously.
- Cook stirring until thick and smooth; cool slightly.
- At this point you may freeze the filling or continue with pie recipe.
- Pour into unbaked 9-inch pie shell.
- Place the top crust over and seal/ flute edges as desired.
- Make 2-3 small slits on the top of crust.
- If desired you may brush with cream then sprinkle sugar over top.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet.
- Set oven to 400°F (oven rack set to lowest position).
- Bake for 10 minutes then reduce to 350°F and continue to bake for about 30 minutes longer or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.