1/1 Photo of Kittencal's Blasted Rapid Roast 2-Hour Whole Turkey
2 hrs 20 mins
No more waiting around for hours for your turkey to cook, it will be cooked in a short time and with perfect results! this method will seal in juices to produce a juicy tender turkey, this is for unstuffed turkeys only and do not use this method for turkeys weighing over 16 pounds, cooking time is only estimated it will depend on the size of the turkey used --- a 14-pound unstuffed turkey should be cooked in 1-1/2 hours, and a 16 pound turkey should be cooked in just under 1.75 hours --- do *not* allow the water in your pan to evaporate or it will start to smoke, I advise to use your above-oven fan while cooking the turkey, and I strongly suggest to only use margarine for this since butter tends to scorch at high heat, if you are brining the turkey firstly then omit the salt --- also see my Kittencal's Best Blasted Rapid-Roast Whole Chicken
My Private Note
whole t ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- 2Set oven to 450°F and preheat for about 8 minutes.
- 3Grease a large roasting pan and a flat rack to fit into the pan.
- 4Pour about 2 cups water into the pan or enough to cover the bottom of the pan generously.
- 5Rinse the turkey inside and out with cold water, then pat dry using paper towels.
- 6In a bowl mix together the melted margarine with salt until well combined.
- 7Slice off the hanging neck skin then tuck the wing tips under the breast.
- 8Using cotton butcher's string tie the legs together (do not use nylon string for this).
- 9Place the turkey on a flat rack breast-side down into the roasting pan.
- 10Brush turkey with margarine/salt mixture then generously season with fresh ground black pepper.
- 11Turn the turkey over with breast-side facing up, then brush the top of the turkey with remaining margarine mixture (you do not have to use the full amount of margarine) then season with lots black pepper.
- 12Insert a meat thermometer into the fleshy part of the thigh but away and not touching the bone.
- 13Roast turkey at 450°F rotating the pan 180°F about halfway through roasting (at this point you will most likely need to add in more water to your pan).
- 14Roast at 450°F for 1-1/2 hours to 2-1/2 hours, cooking time will vary depending on the size of your turkey.
- 15Cook/roast the turkey until the thermometer reads 170°F (the temperature will rise to 180°F when the turkey is removed from the oven).
- 16For 14-pound turkey start checking the thermometer at around 75 minutes.
- 17Do not allow the water in the pan to evaporate or your oven will start to smoke, add in more if needed during cooking time.
- 18When the thermometer reads 170°F remove from oven then lift one side of the turkey to allow the juices from inside cavity to drain off in the pan.
- 19Cover loosely with foil and allow to stand for 30 minutes (do not slice or stick with a fork or the juices will run out of the turkey).
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Blasted Rapid Roast 2-Hour Whole Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (5729 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 9019.0
- Calories from Fat 4520
- Total Fat 502.2 g
- Saturated Fat 131.7 g
- Cholesterol 3488.4 mg
- Sodium 9058.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 1048.5 g