Recipe by LiisaN
Finnish Squeaky Cheese - when eaten warmed, it squeaks. A favorite in the northern UP/Mich area - and among the Finns. My dad often, would take a cube and drop it in his coffee to heat the cheese. It's very mild.
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat milk to 90°F and add sugar, cornstarch, salt and rennet.
- Stir, and remove from heat.
- Let set until gelled.
- When set, cut in x's with a spoon until the consistency of cottage cheese.
- After cutting, let settle for another 30 minutes until they mat together at the bottom of pot.
- Drain off whey.
- Place the curd into a 10x12 cake pan and broil until browned.
- Remove and cool enough to flip curd over.
- Once you flip it over, you may spread with a little butter and lightly salt.
- Broil again, until browned.