Every time I make this, my husband swears it smells and tastes like Thanksgiving dinner. I suppose it could be made with Turkey cutletts to be even closer, but I've always used chicken.
- TO MAKE IN A PAN:
- Place the chicken breasts (still frozen) on the bottom of the pan.
- Layer the apples, sweet potatoes, and onion on top.
- Sprinkle on the nuts and craisins.
- Place one pat of butter on each breast.
- Mix the maple syrup and poultry seasoning together and drizzle on top.
- TO MAKE IN A BAG:
- Put everything except the maple syrup, poultry seasoning, and butter into a ziplock bag.
- Melt the butter and combine with poultry seasoning and maple syrup.
- Put these in a little bowl and freeze separately (in the bag).
- When ready to cook, dump the bag out and then pour the (thawed) syrup butter mix on top.
- To cook: Thaw. Cook covered in a 350 oven for 30-45 minutes. I confess I normally skip the thaw step and put it in the oven.
I forgot to add the berries and nuts (scatterbrained) but it still tasted great. I really liked the sweet potato / apple / onion mixture. I cooked it without freezing, and it took a full 45 minutes, so I imagine it would take longer from frozen.
OMG this dish is outstanding! My husband and I both loved the aroma and the taste.
I was attracted to this dish because of the low sodium. So glad I gave it a try. We loved it. I will definitely add this to my OMAC list and have already shared it with friends.