Recipe by Margaret3
From an old pamphlet put out by Pillsbury 25+ years ago. Still gets compliments! Lots of srong flavors!
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups sweetened applesauce (1 lb can)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup chopped nuts (i like 1/2 of each)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Generously grease BOTTOM ONLY of 8" square pan.
- (or 11 x 7).
- In a large saucepan, combine butter and applesauce, heating over medium til butter melts Remove from heat and blend in all remaining ingredients, stirring until well combined Pour batter into pan, spreading to edges.
- Bake@ 350 30-35 minutes until top springs back when touched.
- Serve warm or cool, plain or with whipped cream.