Recipe by Wheres_the_Beef?
Sometimes a recipe will call for a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix. Here's a clone recipe you can make at home. If another recipe calls for a box of corn muffin mix, leave out egg and milk from this recipe. This recipe is equal to one 8.5 ounce box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix. Makes 1-1/2 cups dry muffin mix.
Top Review by gsanderson
Vegan version: used whole white wheat flour, just 2 T sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, egg replacement made with 1T ground flax seed 3 T water allowed to sit for 10 or 15 minutes, and 1/2 c vanilla soy milk up to 1/4 c water. Splendid! I am a long time user of jiffy mix and this makes a tasty replacement in our new vegan lifestyle.
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Combine flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well with whisk.
- Whisk in vegetable oil and mix until dry mixture is smooth and lumps are gone.
- Combine above mixture with egg and milk and mix well. Batter will be slightly lumpy. For best rise, let batter rest for 3 or 4 minutes. Stir once or twice after rest.
- Fill muffin tins 1/2 full. Bake 15-20 minutes. Makes 6 muffins.