Recipe by ittybittyoptimist
These taste JUST like jalapeño poppers but are cut smaller and can pop easily in your mouth. They are also faster to cook and about the same to prepare. If you like jalapeño poppers you have to try these!!!
- 8 -12 fresh jalapenos, depending on size (larger the better usually)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, Plain (Crunchy or regular)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (Sharp is ideal, but any will work)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 -2 cup oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine Cream Cheese, Cheddar and Mayo. Mix well and Set Aside.
- In a second bowl, combine bread crumbs and all seasonings (ingredients 3-8) Set Aside.
- In a third bowl, beat eggs. Set Aside.
- Cut end off each Jalapeño and slice into 1/4 inch thick round slices. (I keep the tips, not the ends, and make tiny versions of the bites but u can toss em also if u like.).
- Top each Jalapeño slice with a lump of cream cheese mixture, form the mixture and the slice into the shape of a gum drop or a short cylinder with the jalapeño being the bottom of it. The smoother the shape the prettier they turn out.
- *You can use as much of the filling as you like,.
- I usually do about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick depending on the width of the jalapeño slice.
- Dip each popper in eggs, then in breadcrumbs, make sure to cover very well in breadcrumbs and if you need to, double dip. ( if u get a lot of egg on it the first time u should not need to double dip.).
- Dry for 10 Mins before frying.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan to med/low, I do 4 on my stove and it's perfect, make sure there is enough to reach the top of your popper bites, you can not flip they or the filling comes out the top.
- Once the oil is up to heat, place prepared poppers in oil, jalapeño side down!
- Fry for 3-5 mins or until golden brown. If cream cheese comes out the top make sure to watch and remove that one ASAP so u don't lose filling.
- Place on paper towel to cool. Serve:.
- YUM =).