Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Got this recipe off a do it yourself site. It really works and is much cheaper than buying detergent at the store. Add a small amount of essential oil to give it a good smell!
- 3 pints water
- 1⁄3 bar fels naptha bath soap, grated (Ivory Soap, Deodorant Soap, and Beauty Bars can be substituted for the Fels Naptha Soap.)
- 1⁄2 cup washing soda
- 1⁄2 cup borax laundry detergent
- 1 quart hot water
- hot water
- Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 3 pints of water, and heat on low until dissolved.
- Stir in Washing Soda and Borax.
- Stir until thickened, and remove from heat.
- Add 1 Quart Hot Water to 2 Gallon Bucket.
- Add soap mixture, and mix well.
- Fill bucket with hot water, and mix well.
- Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens.
- Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.
- Essential Oils can be added to soap for fragrance*Washing Soda can be found on the laundry detergent aisle of your supermarket.
- It comes in a yellow box.
- Baking soda SHOULD NOT be used in place of washing soda.
- They are completely different products.
I have used this off and on for years. It is cheap and incredible! If you cannot find washing soda (some parts of the country it is impossible) you can use an equal amount of Sunlight dishWASHER detergent.
This is a great idea and mine turned out fine but my daughter was allergic to something in it and got a rash so I had to go back to the detergent I usually buy. I was hoping it would work because it is so much less expensive.
Just made some ! Added a little lavender oil for scent - Can not wait to try it !