1/3 Photos of Herb-Roasted Chicken
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I got this recipe from a Better Homes & Garden "Low-Carb Cooking 2004" magazine. It's a family favorite and so easy. I mixed up a large batch of the herb blend and keep it in a shaker jar to save time. I added brining to the recipe since I always brine my chicken (it makes it so much better!) but you can omit that step. (Brining time is included in the prep. time.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 -3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1 quart water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1 tsp. jarred minced garlic)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning or 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1Place chicken in a 1 gallon zip-lock type bag. Pour 1/2 cup Kosher salt over chicken. Carefully pour 1 quart water over chicken and seal bag.
- 2Gently mix the salt/water solution to cover chicken. Place sealed bag on a paper towel in the refrigerator and leave for 30 minutes. (This is called brining.).
- 3Remove chicken from bag and rinse under cold water. Pat chicken dry.
- 4Preheat oven to 375°F
- 5In a small bowl, stir together basil, salt (1/2 tsp.), sage, thyme, and lemon pepper (or pepper).
- 6In another small bowl, melt butter. Add minced garlic to butter and mix together.
- 7Remove neck and giblets from chicken. Place chicken, breast side down, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Use a basting brush to paint garlic butter onto the chicken skin. Sprinkle part of the herbs over the butter.
- 8Turn chicken over and repeat with remaining butter and herbs.
- 9Roast, uncovered, for 1.25 - 1.5 hours, or until drumsticks move easily in the sockets and a meat thermometer registers 180°F
- 10Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herb-Roasted Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (503 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.3
- Calories from Fat 365
- Total Fat 40.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 175.6 mg
- Sodium 14645.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 37.9 g