Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These cookies never last out the day at work, church get-togethers or wherever I take them. I got this recipe back in high school in my German class and have been making them ever since. Yummy! They've become my annual blue ribbon winner at the local county fair.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter or margarine and the sugars in a large bowl til fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla to butter/sugar mixture and blend well.
- In another bowl combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into butter/sugar mixture til all is incorporated.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls (refrigerate for a few hours first if too soft to handle).
- Roll balls of dough in sugar (either regular granulated sugar or colored sugar as you prefer), place on an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until very lightly brown.
Very good sugar cookie. I made them with real butter. They have a nice texture, too. I got exactly 4 dozen out of this recipe and used my 1-inch cookie scoop (I love that thing). A little refrigeration was necessary in order to easily form the dough balls. I rolled the dough in sanding sugar before baking. Those big sugar crystals really made the cookies look nice. I baked them at 325° for about 12 minutes because I used a convection oven. Thanks for sharing.
I'm in LOVE.....These are exactly what I was looking for, soft on the inside, sugary and crispy on the outside. I got 5 dozen and I baked them 8 minutes. I used margarine but can imagine the richness if butter is used. The last pan is still in the oven but I ha to sit down and type this......THESE ARE HEAVEN SENT!!!Thank you angel...ReeLani!
These have to be the richest sugar cookies I've ever tasted! I did use real butter and they almost taste more like a butter cookie than the light, delicate sugar cookies that I am used to. I rolled in a cinnamon/sugar mixture which worked perfectly. I prepared a little larger than the directions called for and got a total of 2 dozen. Delicious! Thank you, ReeLani!