Recipe by ReeLani
These cookies never last out the day at work, church get-togethers or wherever I take them. I got this recipe back in high school in my German class and have been making them ever since. Yummy! They've become my annual blue ribbon winner at the local county fair.
Top Review by luvmybge
Very good sugar cookie. I made them with real butter. They have a nice texture, too. I got exactly 4 dozen out of this recipe and used my 1-inch cookie scoop (I love that thing). A little refrigeration was necessary in order to easily form the dough balls. I rolled the dough in sanding sugar before baking. Those big sugar crystals really made the cookies look nice. I baked them at 325° for about 12 minutes because I used a convection oven. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter or margarine and the sugars in a large bowl til fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla to butter/sugar mixture and blend well.
- In another bowl combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into butter/sugar mixture til all is incorporated.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls (refrigerate for a few hours first if too soft to handle).
- Roll balls of dough in sugar (either regular granulated sugar or colored sugar as you prefer), place on an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until very lightly brown.