Recipe by -Sylvie-
I got this out of a newspaper health supplement, it's a recipe by a nutrition adviser. I've tried them myself and they make a great alternative breakfast, especially warmed up with a little butter. If you like a bit of sweetness use sweetened coconut or you can soak your raisins in apple juice overnight.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut (preferably unsweetened to keep it healthy)
- 1 medium apple, 1/2 grated & 1/2 chopped into small chunks
- 1⁄2 cup yoghurt
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons vanilla essence
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- In a mixing bowl combine wholemeal flour, oatmeal, baking powder, cinnamon, grated carrots, raisins, chopped walnuts, coconut and the grated apple.
- In a second bowl mix the yoghurt, banana and baking soda, once combined add the eggs, melted butter and vanilla essence.
- Blend well and then stir into the flour mixture until the two are combined.
- Don't overbeat.
- Bake in muffin tins for approx 20 minutes.