1/3 Photos of Ham and Cheese Buttermilk Muffins
Original recipe from the 9/17/08 News Sentinel; posted here for safekeeping with my "healthy" adjustments. Update: Just made these and my are they good! They puff up to become quite large, and they make for a hearty, filling breakfast with some fresh fruit or sliced tomatoes. I imagine you could use other cheeses, veggies, or meats (sausage, bacon?) to make your perfect muffin, too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 1/3 cups fat-free buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 tablespoons Smart Balance butter spread, melted
- 1 cup green onion
- 6 ounces turkey ham, diced
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1Preheat oven to 400 and spray a 12 cup muffin pan.
- 2Whisk together dry ingredients and spices.
- 3Make a well and whisk together eggs, buttermilk, oil, and butter. Stir in scallions, ham, cheese, and bell pepper.
- 4Mix the dry ingredients with the wet gently until just moistened.
- 5Scoop the batter into the pan (cups will be very full).
- 6Bake 20-25 minutes and allow to cool 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- 7Will keep in the fridge for 3 days or frozen for one month.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Cheese Buttermilk Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.2
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 10.2 mg
- Sodium 386.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 7.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat cheddar cheese