Recipe by rocket_j_dawg
My Oma's recipe from the old country. Great for people who hate spinach.
Top Review by Suzy_Q
This was a nice base recipe for creamed spinach. I used 1/2 medium onion, 1 large garlic clove, 2 T. flour and lowfat buttermilk. I did not need to simmer for 30 minutes as it thickened up almost immediately. I added a little nutmeg and a bay leaf as well. Perfect consistency and good flavor. Since the recipe does not state how much liquid to use, you will need about 1/2 - 3/4 c. of milk or cream. Lastly, this will NOT serve 6 unless you are having one bite each. I'd say it serves 2-3 people tops. Anyway, thanks for posting your Oma's recipe!
- 1 (10 ounce) bag fresh spinach
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- milk or light cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash spinach and steam together with onion for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Finely chop cooked spinach and onion together with the garlic and place in a medium pot.
- Combine flour and oil and and heat in a small sauce pan until golden brown.
- Combine flour mixture with spinach stirring until evenly blended.
- Add milk to spinach stirring to combine with flour mixture.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until spinach thickens. Salt to taste.