Recipe by Elodie
A tasty date and rum filling, bake between puff pastry sheet. Lovely french "dessert", served warm or cold, plain or with a little bit of ice cream. Don't forget to hide a whole date or a little something that you are not suposed to eat ( and something that won't melt haha) and the person who finds eat, will have to make a cake and share it with you ! I wrote a lot of directions, because i'm French and doesn't speak English correctly, but it's very easy.
- 2 puff pastry sheets (round, 230 grammes each)
- 150 g pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons rum (very good with dates)
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom water (can you find that? I hope so! or use a good orange juice, but it won't be exactly the same)
- 4 tablespoons water
- 250 ml milk
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar, in France we say Sucre glace
- 1 egg yolk, for brushing the galette
- 1 whole dates or 1 whole dried broad bean
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the dates into cubes, soak them into the Rum + orange blossom water +water and set aside at least 30 minutes, then mash everything like mash potatoes.
- Heat the milk on low heat, but don’t let it boil.
- In a big bowl, beat the egg + the yolk and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in cornstarch, and then add hot milk.
- Put the cream back to heat (olala, I don’t know how to say that haha),stirring until thick.
- Turn the heat off, and add butter, stir until completely melted. Set aside and let cool a little bit.
- Add the date mixture and mix until well blended.
- Preheat oven at 350°F.
- Place the first puff pastry sheet on waxed paper or parchment paper on.
- a cookie sheet (I don’t know if that’s the good word, you know the big thing in the oven, not the rack, olalala !).
- Spread the cream on it, leaving 2 centimetres all around, that you will.
- brush a little, with water so the second sheet can be sealed (I hope.
- that makes sense!).
- Put a whole date or a little something made in ceramic, and the person who finds it, needs to make another cake and share it with you!
- Put the second puff pastry sheet, press all around to seal, and (how am I going to say that?! haha) take the dough that is under, on top, to seal it completely.
- Mix one tablespoon of water + 1 egg yolk and brush the top of the galette,.
- then with a knife, carefully and lightly draw things like it did on the picture, or what you want.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the middle of the oven, then reduce to 300°F and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Take out of the oven, and brush with 1 tablespoon of water + 1 tablespoon.
- of superfine sugar and bake for another 10 minutes.
- This is better the next day, it’s more flavourful, it’s wonderful served warm alone, or with some ice-cream :D.