Recipe by Alan in SW Florida
A terrific Southern twist on the classic BLT. The tang and crunch of the fried green tomato gives a wonderful balance to the bacon, lettuce, and mayo. For a crowd, increase the ingredients and put out the cooked bacon, lettuce leaves, and fried green tomatoes separately... and, let everyone build their own sandwiches. Great football fare!!
- 3 slices green tomatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 4 slices thick bacon, crisply cooked
- 2 -3 lettuce leaves
- 2 -3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 slices toasted bread (I like wheat or multi-grain, but you use your favorite)
Directions See How It's Made
- Season slices of green tomato with salt and pepper. Dredge in the cornmeal. Heat the oil in a skillet. Fry the tomatoes until crisp and golden on both sides. Remove from pan and place on paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
- Spread the mayonnaise on the toasted bread (both slices, if you like.) Add the lettuce, the fried green tomatoes and cooked bacon.
- Build your sandwich and cut in half.