Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my best friend's cornbread recipe. A lot of corn bread gets hard by the second day. I love leftover cornbread for breakfast but it can be too crumbly. This one stayed fluffy through the next day, so it's now my standard recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups self rising flour
- 2⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.Place a greased cast iron skillet in the oven as it preheats.
- Sift together flour, salt, and sugar. Add cornmeal.
- In a seperate container, combine eggs, milk, and shortening.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients being careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into hot skillet. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
This didn't work for us! The melted shortening cooked the eggs and ruined the whole thing! This made nothing more than a mess in our kitchen!