1 hr 15 mins
This was handed down from my Mother in-law. I like it since I don't like to make pies. It's always a hit and freezes well for lunches.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix together the flour and salt; cut in the shortening.
- 2Separate the egg yolk from the egg white. Set the egg white aside to glaze the top crust.
- 3Put the egg yolk in a measuring cup; add milk to make 2/3 cup; beat slightly.
- 4Add the milk/egg mixture to the flour mixture all at once.
- 5Mix together until it holds together.
- 6Gather into a ball and separate into 2 equal portions.
- 7Roll out the first half to fit into a jelly roll pan or a large cookie sheet.
- 8Sprinkle 2 or 3 handfuls of crushed cereal on top of the crust. I just use my hands to crush the cereal.
- 9Mix the apples with the sugar and spread on top of the cereal.
- 10Sprinkle the apples with cinnamon and dot with butter.
- 11Roll out the second crust. Gently place over the top of the apples.
- 12Whisk the reserved egg white until frothy; brush the top crust with it.
- 13Cut small uniform slits on the top crust.
- 14Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
- 15Glaze lightly with a powdered sugar glaze while still warm if desired.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flat Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.0
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 17.6 mg
- Sodium 104.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 26.3 g
- Protein 3.4 g