1/3 Photos of Farmhouse Ham, Cheese and Sauerkraut Sandwiches
This one screams old-timey, German, "down-home," and "comfort food" all at once! Sandwiches can be assembled ahead of time, covered & chilled. At meal-time, bake as directed. Thanks to *Midwest Living* for this awesome recipe and the excellent alternatives featuring midwest-region crops.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2In a small mixing bowl, combine mayo, sour cream, seeds & pepper; stir in kraut; set aside.
- 3On a foil-lined baking sheet, place six slices bread--first brush each with melted butter (save some for the other half of the sammie); top with a slice of cheese, then 1/6th of the kraut mixture,then a slice of ham and two slices of cheese--do this on all six slices of bread.
- 4Brush remaining six slices of bread with melted butter; place on cheese--with butter side up, to make six sandwiches.
- 5Bake for 10 minutes (cheese is melted, bread is lightly browned)--turn once during that time.
- 6Remove from oven; slice diagonally, serve with pickles.
- 7SEPTEMBER HARVEST: Remember Johnny Appleseed by placing a few thin slices of apple between the ham and cheese.
- 8NEBRASKA REUBEN: Salute Omaha's claim to fame and use thinly sliced corned beef instead of the ham.
- 9CRUNCHY BITES: Add a few sunflower kernels to the sauerkraut mixture and honor those hardy souls in North Dakota who raise huge fields of sunflowers!
- 10BOOST YOUR PROTEIN: Stir about a 1/4-cup of cooked edible soybeans (edamame) into the sauerkraut mixture and thank a South Dakota farmer!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Farmhouse Ham, Cheese and Sauerkraut Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 761.1
- Calories from Fat 290
- Total Fat 32.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.0 g
- Cholesterol 88.6 mg
- Sodium 986.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 38.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: