This is a fantastic appetizer and, like all my favourite recipes, ridiculously easy.
Make and share this Ev's Baked Feta recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees F.
- Centre a slice of feta on each of the 8 sheets of foil.
- Centre a slice of tomato over that; sprinkle with garlic and oregano and a light sprinkling of red pepper flakes.
- Drizzle 1 tblsp of olive oil over each feta parcel and seal foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes or, if you're grilling, place the foil packet on your bbq.
- Place one packet per plate (allowing guests to open their own packet and inhale lovely fragrance) and serve with crusty bread as an appetizer.
- Note: You can also grill this feta on the bbq, but double-wrap in foil to ensure there are no tears and you don't lose any melty cheese and juices.
Bake this on the longer side to ensure that the feta softens up well. I used fresh basil and rosemary instead of oregano for mine which smelled wonderful. Goes really well with a crusty Italian bread.
Oh my gosh - what a fabulous starter! We love feta and all the other ingredients, and the finished dish was just absolutely unbelievable. I've never had baked feta, and wondered if it would really soften up nicely - the answer is YES! I used the best greek feta I could find, and made exactly as directed, and four of us tore through two big baked slices in no time. Next time, the only change I would make is to bake the cheese in a gratin dish, covered with foil, so that we don't lose any of the oozy olive oil and bits of cheese. Super easy appetizer that we'll also be making a lot over the summer, as it is just as good warm as it is hot! We might also try the individual packets on the grill for ease of use. Definitely try this one - it's unusual, tasty, and just a lush, wonderful taste. Thanks, ev!
This turned out absolutley delicious. I wanted to adjust the recipe to feed a crowd rather than individual servings so I used to 3X4 inch squares of feta about 1-1/12 inches thick. I also chopped the tomatoes rather than leaving as slices. I put it all in a baking dish just big enough to accomodate both squares of cheese. I covered the dish with foil and baked for about 25 minutes. This was so delicious and flavorful and I will serve this to my guests again and again! Thank you Ev!