This is a quick and very tasty soup that is very easy. I love it with a crusty bread and a salad for dinner.
- Bring 7 cups of water with 1/2 tsp. salt to a boil.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut into slices about 1/4 inch thick.
- Wash leeks carefully, and chop into medium sized pieces.
- When water is boiling, add potatoes and leeks.
- Turn down heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
- Reserving 2 to 3 cups of the cooking water, put the remaining contents of the pot into a blender or food processor.
- Puree until smooth.
- Add butter and blend until smooth.
- Return soup to pot and bring to a boil.
- Add reserved cooking water until soup reaches desired consistency (I like to leave it thick).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
- Reheats very well.