Recipe by Mary N.
I have been making this macaroni and cheese for a while now. It satisfies my cheese craving. This stove top recipe doesn't take much longer than the box stuff, but tastes like homemade without the preservatives. This is definitely comfort food!
Top Review by loof
Tasty mac-n-cheese, and so easy! I used all lowfat milk (no cream) and lowfat cheddar with good results. Don't leave out the hot sauce; it's not spicy, just gives this a flavor boost. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2012
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (or whatever shape you prefer)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 4 -5 dashes Frank's red hot sauce (do not use Tobasco)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan. When melted, whisk in the flour until incorporated and cook for 30 seconds or so until thickened.
- Slowly pour in cream and milk while whisking. Cook until thickened on low heat, whisking frequently. Usually 3-4 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in the cheddar cheese, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Once all the cheese has melted, add macaroni and stir well. Adjust salt and pepper per taste.