Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
empanadas in under 20 minutes?? YOU BET!!!! this is probably the most ingenious way to get a great taste in half the time!
- 2 (7 1/2 ounce) cans refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (not the layered varieties)
- flour or cornmeal, for rolling
- olive oil, for brushing (can also use one egg)
- Adjust oven rack to center.
- heat oven to 400 degrees.
- or heat deep fryer to 450 degrees.
- Separate biscuits onto a flour or cornmeal-coated work surface.
- roll dough flat( about a 5-inch circle ), use 2 Tbs. of (desired)filling and leave a 1/2-inch border.
- Place on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- (At this point, can be frozen up to 2 weeks.)
- Brush tops with oil(or egg).
- Bake until golden.
- 16 to 20 minutes (longer if frozen).
- or fry about 2 minutes till golden brown.
OK, I have done this before I even read this, and I give it 3 stars. It is functional, but not really empenada dough.
you can't make this dough with biscuits--has to have cornmeal, flour butter, etc, and I'm trying to find the one that uses tequila for half the liquid. makes it very flaky.
In the end, it just tastes like biscuits. Also bake time should be more around the 8-10 minute mark. Mine were almost burned at 11 minutes.