Recipe by rsarahl
Caramel swirled ice cream! Luscious... Cook time includes freezing.
Top Review by Sunshine
Just wonderful. I love dulce de leche and it was so good with this ice-cream. I would never buy any other caramel, beside this stuff! I used whole milk for the milk not 2% I think it gives it a better flavor, because it has less water than 2%. I also put some brownie pieces into the mix after it was done in the ice- cream freezer. Very good recipe! Thanks for sharing this one. I recommend it to anyone!
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup dulce de leche, home-made or store bought
- 6 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the cream, milk and 2/3 cup of the dulce de leche.
- Stir mixture constantly until well blended, about 5 minutes.
- In a heatproof mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and salt.
- Gradually add the hot cream mixture and whisk until they are fully incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula, until the custard thickens, about 10 minutes; do not boil.
- Pour the custard through a cheesecloth lined strainer set over a clean bowl.
- This will strain any lumps and leave a smooth custard.
- Nestle the custard bowl in a larger one filled halfway with ice and water and cool the custard to room temperature.
- Stir this mixture occasionally.
- Refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Transfer chilled custard to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- At the end of the freezing stage, drizzle the remaining 1/3 cup dulce de leche into the churning ice cream to get the swirled effect.
- Harden off/freeze finished ice cream until firm, 3 to 4 hours.