1/1 Photo of Curried Lentil Loaf
1 hr 5 mins
Kozmic Blues's Note:
This "meatless" loaf is packed full of protein. And, as an added bonus, it has potato and veggies baked right in. This goes nicely with a fresh green salad and some basmati rice. This is yet another recipe from my favorite cookbook, "The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 medium yellow onion, grated or minced
- 1 large potato, peeled and grated
- 1 small red bell pepper, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped (can used canned if fresh aren’t in season)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (to taste)
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils, drained and mashed slightly
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Lightly spray a 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- 3Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 4Add carrot, onion, potato, pepper and garlic, and cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- 5Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, curry powder, cayenne and salt, and mix well.
- 6Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- 7Turn off heat and stir in the lentils Place 1 cup of the lentil/vegetable mixture with the peanut butter in a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth.
- 8Fold this into the remaining lentil and vegetable mixture, along with the bread crumbs.
- 9Taste and see if more salt is needed, then add mixture to the loaf pan.
- 10Bake loaf until firm, about 40-50 minutes.
- 11Its best to let the loaf sit for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Lentil Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.7
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 97.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.0 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 20.6 g