Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Curried chick peas cooked in the pressure cooker. A Sri Lankan friend taught me this recipe and we often take it on picnics - it's very filling. It makes a wonderful snack or part of a main meal. It has a nutty, crunchy flavour that people love and is a firm favourite amongst our vegetarian friends..
- 500 g dried garbanzo beans
- 500 ml coconut milk
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder (adjust to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cardamom pods
- 6 cloves
- crushed garlic
- water, to cover the chickpeas
- salt, if required (sea salt preferably)
- Place all of the dry spices in a dish and mix together.
- Place all of the chick peas in the pressure cooker (trivet removed).
- Add the carton of coconut milk.
- Add the lime juice.
- Add the dish of dry spices, cardomom pods, cloves and garlic.
- Add the salt after cooking if required.
- Stir well.
- Add enough water to cover the ingredients by about half an inch.
- Bring the pressure cooker up to pressure and let cook for 30 minutes.
- Allow the pressure cooker to cool, then remove the lid.
- The curried chick peas can be stored in the freezer for later use.
- This dish makes a wonderful snack with a salad and is very nutritious. It can be used for many different recipes, but especially curries.
- NOTE: if you're unfamiliar with a pressure cooker, please read the instructions with that come with it.