Basmati rice, alone, is a wonderfully fragrant and fluffy rice. This is my own concoction with a pinch here and a dash there, but I tried to be more specific when writing the recipe. We enjoyed it very much, I hope you do also. If you love the taste of curry, you will love this rice.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable for vegan)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil, for last-minute dressing
- Heat medium 3-quart pot over medium-high heat with oil. Add minced garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Don't burn garlic. Lightly brown.
- Add rice. Constantly toss and stir to coat rice with garlic and oil and lightly toast rice.
- Add chicken stock, curry powder and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover on simmer til rice has absorbed liquid (about 20 minutes).
- During last 5 minutes of cooking rice, remove lid, add butter, rosemary and parsley. Stir. Recover.
- If liquid is absorbed, reduce heat to low and keep warm. If rice appears dry, add small amount of olive oil. I recommend doing this anyway, as the Extra Virgin Olive Oil adds wonderful flavor.
- Just before serving, add lemon zest to pot and toss to combine all ingredients. Salt and pepper to taste.
I have never been a curry(smell) fan and this was my first venture in cooking with it. It has become my absolute best and favourite rice recipe. Everybody loves it!