Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a tasty springtime soup that is so delicious, We love fiddleheads here , and it's nice to have a few different recipes to use them. The soup is very good.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes, peeled, diced
- 2 cups cleaned fiddleheads
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, ot taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- grated lemon rind or chives
- In a large heavy bottom saucepan, sauté onion in butter or oil until soft but not brown, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes, fiddleheads, bay leaf, and enough chicken stock to make the vegetables just swim.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and barely simmer, partially covered, for one hour. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Remove bay leaf.
- In a blender, process mixture in batches. (Can be prepared to this point a day or two ahead of time. Cool, cover and refrigerate.).
- Return mixture to saucepan and slowly bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Add milk, a little at a time, until it reaches the consistency you like. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in heated soup bowls, garnish as desired.
I tried this recipe as well as the fiddlehead quiche with all of the fiddleheads I picked. This recipe is wonderful, it has to simmer for an hour but it is worth the wait. I will definately be making this regularly. thanks for sharing.