My mother got this recipe from a dear family friend in the 1950's. No matter who in our family is making Thanksgiving dinner, you can bet this dish will be served. Note: the times indicated do not include refrigeration time. Cranberries from Wisconsin make this a Midwest U.S. regional recipe. (Also, I first enjoyed it in Missour - another fine Midwestern state).
- The day before serving, cook cranberries in water over low heat until soft.
- Add sugar and mash.
- Add chopped nuts.
- Stir, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- About 4 hours before serving, add the fruit cocktail.
- Just before serving, whip cream, add sugar and vanilla and whip until soft peaks form.
- Add bananas to fruit mixture.
- Gently fold whipped cream into fruit mixture until well blended.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: You can use Cool Whip instead of whipping the cream, but the flavor is so much better with the real thing!
This is incredible. But I am one of those people that love FLUFF! I never had it as a child and now eat huge portions whenever anyone brings it to a potluck. This was so good. I will definately make this again. Thanks!
Yum! I decided to give this a try for Thanksgiving this year, it was good! Definitely a keeper, will continue making this each Thanksgiving. Thanks for the great recipe :)
Thank you for posting this. I have not made it yet, but this is the recipe I have been looking for. We will try it soon.