Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This works great as an appetizer to a meal or as a sidedish. The blue cheese brings a nice rich flavor. Its gourmet food in your own kitchen
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic (pressed)
- 1⁄2 lb crabmeat (can use imitation)
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 2 -3 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 4 -5 portabella mushrooms (can also use baby bellas)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Remove stems of portabellas and scrape off the brown underside.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan, add onion and garlic until the onion is tender.
- Turn off the stove and add crabmeat, italian seasoning, parmeasean cheese, blue cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Stuff the mushrooms, and place on a cookie sheet.
- Mix the olive oil and water together and sprinkle over the mushrooms.
- Bake 20-25 minutes serve while hot.
This is very easy to make and has a very elegant taste due to the blue cheese and crab. I used canned crab meat which is less pronounced than the imitation crab. The lady I made these for loved them. I did substitute dry white wine for the water and mixed the oil and wine into the filling rather than sprinkling over. Since I wanted an appetizer instead of a side dish, I used two boxes of baby bellas and chopped several of the stems into the mix as well.
very good, but i followed the recipe for 12 servings and wound up with stuffing for 24.
Love the flavor of the blue cheese/crab/parmesan. I only made 4 medium mushrooms so cut the recipe way back. The recipe does sound like a lot of stuffing even for 4-5 large portabellas. I didn't mix the oil & water but lightly sprayed on olive oil just before putting them in the oven.. I used artificial crab, I did not saute the onion nor garlic but added them raw. Oven time perfect I floated a piece of foil over the mushrooms for the first 20 minutes and slipped them under the broiler for the last 5. They were served for Sunday brunch consisting of New crop Texas red grapefruit, Omeletes filled with stir fried red, green & yellow sweet peppers & hot chili sauce,, anchovie fillets and herring fillets on the side, toast coffee etc etc Thanks DeniseI will use this recipe as an appetizer with small portabellas next time