I found a recipe for "Cowboy Pie" in a recipe book ages ago, it was a really simple dish of baked beans, sausages and mash. My version has been a real work in progress and is a very satisfying comforting meal. Children always love it, and its a great way to get them eating a few veggies! PLease dont take the measurements as absolute, especially the bbq sauce, as there are so many different kinds, enough should be added to give it a zing! If you dont have mini/cocktail sausages, you can just use regular ones, I find it best to cook them whole first and then chop them up, as if you try to chop them and then cook them you end up with a gooey mess! You can really add whatever you like to this, although I do recommend the shredded cabbage as it gives it a nice crunch.
- 4 medium white potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 swede, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup grated mature cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated red leicester cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 400 g cocktail franks
- 2 medium red onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mixed herbs
- 6 drops maggi seasoning sauce
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (400 g) can baked beans
- 1 (400 g) can kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1⁄2 savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons beef gravy granules
- Preheat oven to 180C/350°F.
- Put potato, sweet potato, and swede in saucepan of cold water, bring to boil and simmer till cooked. Once cooked drain and mash with the grated cheese, butter, milk, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in pan (I find a wok works best), and brown sausages.
- Add onions, pepper, garlic and cook till onions and peppers are going soft, dont let them burn as this will affect the taste.
- Add cabbage and give good stir and cook till cabbage just beginning to go slightly soft.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and give good stir.
- Heat till bubbling and then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 5/10 mins, or till the cabbage is just beginning to wilt.
- Spoon the bean mixture into an ovenproof dish and top with the potatoes mixture.
- Put in oven for around 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!