1/2 Photos of Codfish Cakes using Salt Cod
8 hrs 10 mins
An old-time recipe that used to be my grandfather's favorite cold weather meal. The hot sauce is a new addition...=)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak the fish in cold water for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- 2Change the water at least 3 times during the soaking.
- 3Remove the fish from the water and rinse well.
- 4Place it in a saucepan filled with fresh cold water and set it over medium-high heat.
- 5Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- 6Drain the fish and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- 7Combine the breadcrumbs and milk in a small bowl and let soak.
- 8Using a fork, flake the fish, removing any bones, into a large bowl.
- 9Add the bread crumb mixture, the potatoes, butter, pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
- 10Mix until well combined.
- 11Form the mixture into 2 1/2-inch cakes.
- 12Heat half the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 13Cook until the cakes are browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Codfish Cakes using Salt Cod
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.3
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 97.2 mg
- Sodium 4261.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 38.3 g